A neighbourhood plan is a community-led framework for guiding the future development, regeneration and conservation of an area. A neighbourhood plan is about the use and development of land and may contain a vision, aims, planning policies, proposals for improving the area or providing new facilities, or allocation of key sites for specific kinds of development. It may deal with a wide range of social, economic and environmental issues such as housing, employment, heritage and transport. A neighbourhood plan needs to follow the national and district policies for development, but within that we have some freedom to create an appropriate future for our town.
Most importantly, a neighbourhood plan is a reflection of what the community wants and needs. Therefore strong engagement with the community is essential - and this is where you come in! We need your ideas and views on how you think the town of Axbridge should be developed.
The advantages to us as a community include:
- Having a say over how our town is developed
- The neighbourhood plan will form part of the statutory development plan for the area
- With a neighbourhood plan in place we get increased contributions to the town from housing development under Section 106. These contributions can be used for investment in recreational spaces and infrastructure projects.
We will be carrying out a number of different community engagement activities and we need you to get involved.
The key objectives for the Axbridge Neighbourhood Plan are to:
- Preserve the character of Axbridge as an attractive medieval town adjoining an area of outstanding natural beauty
- Retain a distinct community, protect and cherish the natural and physical heritage and townscape
- Meet local housing needs in a manner commensurate with the character of the designated area during the period of the plan
- Ensure a flourishing commercial, retail business and economic environment
- Provide a successful marketing and tourism profile for the designated area
- Facilitate the needs of residents in the areas of education, health, leisure, recreation, sport and transport
- Work to increase the sustainability of Axbridge.
- Ensure that Axbridge is a good place to live with facilities for young and old alike
- Maintain and protect the natural environment and availability of green spaces within the designated parish boundaries